Nowadays you need to know how to install printer without CD. You might lose your CD drive, or your printer is not detecting it. Also, if it has scratches, it might not help. Some printer manufacturers also don’t include the CD.
Luckily, there is a way out!
There are two ways to install a printer on your computer – using a USB cable or downloading the printer software. This article will teach you to set up your printer both ways! We have you covered whether you are using a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
How to Install Printer Via a USB Cable?
You can use a USB cable to install your windows, Mac, and Linux devices. Let’s start with windows devices.
Installing a printer using a USB in windows is very easy. Taking about 10-15 minutes to complete. But, please keep in mind that these steps may vary slightly depending on the make and model of your printer. Let’s get started!
- The first thing you will need to do is locate the USB port on your computer. This is usually located on the back of the tower or the side of a laptop. Once you have found the USB port, plug in your printer’s USB cable.
- Next, open up the Control Panel on your computer. To do this, simply type “Control Panel” into the search bar on your taskbar.
- Once the taskbar is open, select “Hardware and sound”
- Under the ” Hardware” section drop-down, click on “Devices and Printers.” This will open up a new window with a list of all the devices and printers currently connected to your computer.
- Here, you should see your printer’s name as one of the devices.
- If you do not see your printer’s name listed, click on the “Add a Printer” button at the top of the window.
- Lease follow the on-screen instructions to complete your printer installation.
Please note that his process will vary depending on the make and model of your printer, but it should be relatively easy to get started.
Once the installation is complete, you should be able to print documents from your computer using your new printer! It’s that easy.
If you’re still having trouble installing your printer after following these steps, we recommend reaching out to your printer manufacturer for additional support. They should be able to help you troubleshoot any remaining issues.
If you are using a Mac device, please follow the steps below to set up your printer using a USB cable.
- Turn on and connect your printer to your Mac device using a USB.
- Open System Preferences from the Apple menu. Then click on Printers & Scanners.
- To see a list of printers available to add, click the “+” sign on the bottom left corner of the window.
- Look out for your printer from this list and click on “Add”. Your printer is successfully added and set up.
Please note that if you have any challenges with the above setup, reach out to your printer support system for further help. Otherwise, enjoy using your printer.
Nowadays, it’s very easy to install Linux printers without a cd, especially with the latest devices. The previous systems had poor compatible print servers, with difficulty retrieving and installing internet drivers correctly.
Please note that this guide uses Ubuntu 17.10 operating system. But, the steps are almost similar. You can easily replicate it on other recent Linux devices.
To get your printer started, kindly follow the steps below
Using a USB connect your printer and the PC. Then turn it on
You can choose to add the printer automatically which is the easiest
- Start the network printer your printer will be detected shortly when installation is complete
- You will also get a notification once your printer has been added to the system
If this is challenging or you don’t have a ready network, you can still add the printer manually. Although this might take time to complete it’s easy.
- Click the setting button on your device. The button is marked with either a hammer or a screwdriver.
- Click on the arrow pointing downwards and click panel adjustments to add your printer.
- Click the devices on the left side panel and click “Add a printer”
- Please be patient as your printer is detected in the system
- Once it appears on your screen, select it and click the “add button” on the upper right-hand side
- You can also add the printer manually at this stage. Type in the IP address in the box at the bottom of the page
- You will get a notification prompt in case your printer needs additional drivers or needs to access special functions like ink management and scanner. And you can install them specifically.
- To do this, go to panel printers, click the newly added printer, select the specific detail, e.g. scanner drivers, from the menu, and press the “find driver” button.
- Within a few minutes, your printer setup should be complete. Please be careful to follow the on-screen installation prompts.
No worries if your printer didn’t come with a CD to install its software. Usually, you can download the latest version of the software directly from your printer manufacturer’s website to set up your printer. Please follow the steps below,
- First, you need to note down your printer model number. You will find this information printed on a label on the printer itself.
- Once you have that, search for the printer manufacturer’s website and their “Support” or “Downloads” section.
- Once you’re in the right section of the website, look for an option to download drivers or software for your specific printer model. Please note the process may vary depending on the website you’re using. Still, typically, you’ll just need to enter your printer model number and select the operating system you’re using. Either window, Mac, or whatever you use to operate the printer.
- Once you download the software, double-click on the file to begin the installation.
- Please follow the prompts and agree to any terms and conditions. The installation process will vary depending on the software, but usually, you only need to click “Next” a few times.
- And that’s it! After the software installation, connecting your printer to your computer should be easy, and start using it immediately.
Follow the Manufacturer’s Instructions
Sometimes printer manufacturers don’t intentionally set up your printer’s cd. But will always provide the necessary instructions. Please consult your printer’s manual or look for more information on their website.
If you were stuck on how to install a printer without CD, you have three options you can use- using a USB cable, downloading software, or following the manufacturer’s instructions. If one of these methods doesn’t work for you, don’t worry! There’s always another way.
Contact your printer manufacturer for more help, or visit their website for step-by-step instructions.